Are your Board meetings productive and effective or are they frustrating, long and drawn out with no resolutions or action plans? Here are a few tips to get the most out of your board meeting: –
- Have an agenda and circulate material relevant to the agenda a week in advance
- Set a finish time for the meeting. While the meeting may go overtime, an anticipated finish time can keep discussions on-track.
- Ensure all Directors have adequate training and understand their role and obligations as a Director.
- Be respectful of others at all times and do not over-speak fellow board members.
- Ensure detailed and accurate minutes are kept.
- Ensure each discussion or agenda item has a resolution or is taken to an action list with a time-frame for completion.
- Table action list and progress at each meeting.
A few simple changes could make a big difference to the outcomes of your Board meeting.